8 Tips for Adjusting to Your New Home
Senior living is loaded with benefits. No more home maintenance. Incredible service and hospitality. Safety and security. Deliciously healthy meal choices. So many things to do and people to meet. But it’s a major life change not to be taken lightly. Whether you’re the one making the move or you’re supporting and encouraging your loved one, these tips can help smooth out the transition.
- Start meeting people and participating in activities when you feel ready. Packing and relocating takes a lot of energy – physically, emotionally, and mentally. Take the time you need to recover. Then make it a point to get out and about for a bit each day. As you become familiar with the daily programs, you’ll relax and feel more comfortable.
- Let staff know your preferences. Your choices are important to you and to us. Because we respect your lifestyle, we’ll want to know about the things you like to do, favorite meals, and all the things that make you happy.
- If you’re wondering about anything, just ask. We try to keep you informed and explain every aspect of our community and our helpful staff is ready to answer any questions.
- Surround yourself with your favorite things. Most likely, you’ve recently downsized, but you’ve probably kept those most cherished possessions. Here’s your chance to decorate your new apartment home as you see fit.
- Break the ice. Staff and other residents will help orient you to the community and introduce you to others. They’re all ready and waiting to meet your acquaintance.
- Give us your feedback. We listen to our residents. If you have suggestions, ideas, compliments, or constructive feedback for us, our door is always open.
- Try out new activities. While your participation is always your choice, trying something different is good for your mood, your brain, and your health.
- Invite family and friends over. The Atriums was designed not only for our residents but for your children, grandchildren, siblings, nieces, nephews, or former neighbors to visit and make new memories together.
If you have any concerns or worries, please feel free to talk to our staff openly and honestly. It’s our job to make you happy. If you haven’t visited The Atriums Senior Living Community yet, we invite you to schedule a tour to meet our residents and staff.